As a voice actor, your vocal cords are your bread and butter. If they’re not in top shape, you can’t do your job. That’s why it’s so important to know how to prevent vocal fatigue. Here are a few tips:
1. Avoid dehydration by drinking plenty of water throughout the day.
2. Don’t smoke, and avoid being around secondhand smoke.
3. Limit your caffeine intake.
4. Warm up your voice before you start recording or streaming.
5. Take breaks as needed, and make sure to give your voice a rest sometimes.
6. practice proper breathing techniques.
7. Use a humidifier in your home or office to keep the air moist.
8. See a doctor if you have any concerns about your vocal health.
9. Try some throat exercises or vocal coaching to strengthen your vocal cords.
10. Invest in a high-quality microphone that won’t strain your voice.
11. Avoid yelling or speaking too loudly whenever possible.
12. Take care of yourself overall by eating right, exercising, and getting enough sleep.
13. If you feel like you might be getting sick, rest your voice ASAP.
14. Drink herbal teas or other soothing liquids if your throat starts to get irritated.
15. Know when to see a specialist if you redevelop stiffness or soreness in your vocal cords despite taking preventive measures.
16. Book an appointment with an ENT (ear, nose, and throat) doctor for a quick check-up every once in a while just to be on the safe side.
17. Get regular massages, especially if you tend to hold tension in your neck and shoulders.
Taking care of your vocal cords is essential if you want to sustain a career as a voice actor. By following the tips above, you can help prevent vocal fatigue and keep your voice in top shape for years to come!
Take Your Voiceover Career To The Next Level
Your voice needs to stand out and be noticed by producers, agents and casting directors. But beware of inexperienced (and often unscrupulous) so-called "coaches" and "demo services". Our experienced team of experts will help you with voiceover training and create a demo that showcases your unique talent and gets you work in no time - just as we have done for the past 25 years.
CALL TODAY FOR A FREE CONSULTATION
M. Bruce Abbott is the Creative Director/Partner at Radio Lounge. Bruce has over 30 years experience as a voice actor, casting and production director, as well as extensive advertising, marketing, and podcasting experience.